Applying for social security disability and waiting for a determination can be quite challenging. Currently, in St Petersburg Florida, the average wait time for a SSI or SSD hearing is 18.0 months (which is a bit better than the Florida average). The St Petersburg Florida average for winning a SSI or SSD disability hearing is just 48%. Based on this statistic, you should not try to handle your social security disability claim alone.
The Social Security Administration has recently published their Annual Statistical Report on the Social Security Disability Insurance Program, 2016. It is 196 pages long so I thought I would provide some highlights:
- Social Security Disability benefits were paid to almost 10.2 million people.
- 88 percent of all disabled beneficiaries awards were to disabled workers who paid into the social security system.
- Benefits were terminated for 820,372 disabled workers.
- The average age for those who received SSDI benefits was 54 years old.
- Men represented less than 52 percent of all the SSD recipients.
- The largest category of diagnoses was diseases of the musculoskeletal system and connective tissue (32.3 percent).
- Average monthly benefit received was $1,171.15.
The report provides a lot of information on the status of the social security disability system, but beware, there are a lot of numbers and charts and can even make this social security disability attorney’s head spin.
If you or someone you know has worked hard over the years and can no longer do so because of a medical disability or condition, contact our social security disability team for a free case consultation. We are here to help!
Attorneys Matthew Noyes and Lorrie Robinson represent those fighting for social security disability benefits. Mr. Noyes is a named partner at the Tampa Bay law firm of Perenich Caulfield Avril Noyes – one of the oldest personal injury law firms in Pinellas County. Call Attorney Matthew Noyes now at 727-796-8282 or complete the form on this page or simply click here to schedule a free case consultation.